Greater Warangal Municipal Corporation has facilitated construction of over 40 public toilets
through binding Service Level Agreements and Public Private Partnership. The PPP model is on
Build Operate and Transfer (BOT) basis for a period ranging from 5 to 15 years. The PTs are
gender segregated, disable friendly and they are equipped with ramps with S-line
advertisements on it.
SLAs in detail provides for the roles and responsibilities of each party, levels of service to be
provided and penalties for default on services.
Various mobile apps have been developed for constant monitoring of PTs.
Public Toilet Monitoring App
- Public Toilet Monitoring tool is a mobile based app developed for periodic survey of PTs.
The app is integrated into existing monitor system of Greater Warangal Municipal Corporation .
- Sanitary inspectors complete a simple survey every week using the app. The data is
aggregated real time and reviewed by the commissioner every Saturday. Performance of
the PT operators is monitored and memos issued. Sis involvement is also noted.
Toilet Finder App
- Citizens and officials use Toilet finder app to locate toilets in and around radius of 4kms.
The users can add, share and rate the toilets.
Citizen Feedback Tool
- Citizen satisfaction with Public Toilets is captured by using GPS enabled feedback
machines. Information from multiple locations is collated on a real time basis. These
machines were piloted in 5 public toilets and are being scaled up to 31 more PTs.
- Citizens use the feedback machine to rate the maintenance of the toilet. This data is
used in combination with data from PTs monitoring tool (SIs app) for monitoring service
level standards on weekly basis.
E-Toilet is a modular, pre-fabricated public toilet integrated with user-friendly electronic
interfaces, to ensure cleanliness and hygiene to every user. Unmanned, automated and coin
based, eToilets have remote monitoring capabilities and its health status can be tracked over
Five e-toilets have been built across five different locations in Warangal.
As per the basis of detailed study, Warangal is the 1st ever city in the country to initiate
exclusive toilets for women known as SHE toilets. Indus Towers Limited as a part of CSR activity
has proposed to establish, maintain and operate public toilets blocks for women at 4 different
locations within Greater Warangal Municipal Corporation limits along with installing Indus Cell Tower. Indus Towers has put to
use the roof of SHE-Toilet and appurtenant open space for erection tower and placement of
equipment to enable to provide telecommunication services by service providers for 10 years.
Locations for more SHE toilets are being identified.
Design Specifications for She toilets :
- At least 2 toilet seats consisting of one WC (Indian/ Western) and one toilet seat for
PHC/ Child friendly.
- The design/architecture of the complex should be in consonance with surroundings.
- Public toilets should be designed to minimize hand contact for hygienic reasons.
- The inside height of Toilet complex should be 3 mtrs.
- Natural ventilation through doors windows and ventilators should be provided.
- The areas around each toilet block shall be constructed by proper approaches.
- Waste water from toilets should be treated with advanced septic tanks (3 chamber
septic tank with anaerobic baffled reactor) and the treated water should be disposed in
to soak pit.
- Installing safety grills and doors in order to avoid vandalism.
- Space shall be provided for advertisement boards and hoardings.
- A comprehensive firefighting system in accordance with CPWD and NBC norm.
There are total 180 slums in Greater Warangal Municipal Corporation. Based on the need of
communities 3 CTs have been constructed. 1 community toilet in Christian colony, Warangal is under
construction and 4 CTs are under process. Many Focus group discussions were conducted with people in
model colonies. Operation and maintenance models have been developed in consultation with
Provision of access to safe Water, Sanitation facilities and Hygiene (WASH) improves the learning
abilities of children, health, and attendance, especially of the girl child, with far reaching consequence
on the health of the community. The combination of adequate facilities, correct behavioural practices
and education would have a positive impact on the health and hygiene conditions of the community as a
whole, both now and in the future.
As part of the City Wide Delivery Of Sustainable And Equitable Sanitation Services project supported
by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, a study was planned in December 2014, to assess the status
of water and sanitation in the schools of Greater Warangal Municipal Corporation (GWMC). The study
would identify infrastructure gaps that impede quality service delivery of safe water and sanitation
facilities on an everyday basis.
There are 295 government managed schools in the Greater Warangal Municipal Corporation area out of which 221 are urban schools. A
Baseline study that covers analysis of benchmarking exercise on the status of WASH facilities available
has been developed for these 221 schools.
ASCI as a technical/Knowledge partner and Oriental Insurance Company Limited as donor of funds along
with Greater Warangal Municipal Corporation are working towards the Swachh Vidyalaya for selected
50 Government schools in developing them as Model WASH schools in the district of Warangal,
Telangana for a period of 1 year starting from July 2016.
Model Sanitation School
Model Sanitation School means.
Provision of safe drinking water.
- Provision of functional gender segregated toilets.
- Provision of Group Hand washing facilities with soap.
- Hygiene promotion and training.
Menstrual Hygiene management is also an integral part of it.
Each Model School has a cabinet of ministers among 5 children The team led by Prime
Minister WASH, along with Minister Water, Minister Sanitation, Minister Hygeine, and
Minister Environment. Badges with the designations were pinned to their uniforms creating a
sense of responsibility and pride amongst the students.